- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a couple of muffin tin trays with muffin liners.
- Prepare the crumb topping by melting the ghee and combining it with the almond meal, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well until it forms a nice, crumbly texture. Then, stir in the nuts and place the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Next, prepare the milk mixture by heating the oil/ghee, milk, chai tea and ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring to a slight simmer then take off the heat and let the tea bags seep. After a while, strain and remove tea bags from the milk mixture and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except for the carrots and optional nuts. Set aside.
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl or stand-up mixer. Add in the chai tea milk mixture and mix well.
- Next, stir in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until well combined. Then, fold in the grated carrots (and optional nuts).
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tray—it should fill each to about ¾ full. Top the batter with a tablespoon of the crumb topping and press down very gently so it sticks.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean or with a few crumbs and the topping is golden brown. Let cool and store in the fridge.